Sunday, November 1, 2009

DURHAM COUNTY: A MUST SEE


Released by Miss TV Girl

I would like to start off by saying that "Durham County " is one of the best television series that I have seen in a very long time. I must admit the show wasn't even on my radar until a friend called and said this looks like something you might enjoy. I don't quite know if I should be happy that my friend knows me so well, or bothered that she saw this very dark show and thought of me.

"Durham County" premiered on ION formerly PAX on September 7th, as its first original scripted program in years. However, Durham County first premiered more than two years ago in Canada. There it had two six episode seasons, but here in the states ION will air it as a 12 episode season.

The series is about a Mike Sweeney(brilliantly played by Hugh Dillon ), a homicide detective who moves his family to suburban Durham County to start over after his partner is killed and his wife Audrey(Helen Joy) is diagnosed with breast cancer. It is revealed early on that Mike has a few secrets of his own to deal with like guilt, infidelity, and a long suppressed penchant for violence. He is certainly a character I am very interested in getting to know.

However, he soon discovers that his neighbor and childhood nemesis Ray Prager.(brilliantly played by Justin Louis) Back in the day, Praeger and Sweeney were best friends. Something went down, over a woman. There was an accident, and Praeger's promising hockey career was cut short and Sweeney disappeared.

There's one other detail about Praeger that's important.

He's just become a copycat killer.

That's not a spoiler. Why? Because what is so great about this show is that they let you in on what's going on pretty much right away. This is a not a series about figuring out who the killer is.
I have only seen the first 4 episodes and I am hooked. The dynamics between these two men and their families are sometimes hard to watch, but at the same time fascinating.
"Durham County" doesn't shy away from the things that would typically make the viewer uncomfortable like violence,death,insecurities,failure,sickness,adultery, divorce and so much more.

I don't know if this show is for everybody, it is definitely not for the sensitive. But if you are interested in seeing something that pulls you in from scene to scene please tune in to "Durham County". I promise you won't be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment